News and Tasks
Mid-Monthly Update from the Chair | 2016 September
Student Representatives Needed for Teacher Education Council
At the September 7 meeting of the Teacher Education Council, we asked for people to submit to Sandy Steckler your recommendations of education majors to serve as student representatives on the Council.
Please contact Sandy by 4:00 P.M. on Wednesday, September 21 with your nominations. We're looking for teacher candidates to represent the needs, concerns, and ideas of elementary and secondary education majors on both campuses. Your recommendations should be candidates who could serve the entire academic year (i.e., not graduate in December and then need to be replaced).
Follow-Up on Teacher Education Council's Brainstorming Sessions with Chairs
In April most department chairs in the Teacher Education Program joined the Teacher Education Council for two brainstorming sessions on how to address some of the challenges of meeting CAEP expectations. Notes from those sessions are accessible here.
We have already implemented some of the recommended changes regarding scheduling field experiences and administering signature assessments for this fall.
We hope that individual instructors are also implementing some of the ideas for how to hold our candidates accountable for learning the material that is presented during an on-campus class that they must miss when they're out in the field.
On the Docket
(1) Psychology faculty are analyzing data and preparing their program assessment report for 2015-16. Education faculty are doing the same for their program. In October we will submit those reports to the University Assessment Committee.
(2) With the assistance of Lisa Daniels, departments are preparing ESPB Program Reports for the education degrees that they offer. This is part of the program approval/accreditation cycle for DSU's Teacher Education Program.
(3) Education faculty are preparing teacher candidates in the program for their first Field Experience Day, coming up next week.
(4) Psychology faculty are preparing curriculum change requests for the next catalog.
(5) We are preparing a draft of the spring class schedule, due to the dean by September 26. Any faculty with scheduling requests should speak to their chairs next week.
(6) We are preparing the application to request the HLC's permission to offer the M.A.T. degree, approved already by the SBHE.
(7) The Psychology Club and both of our Student Education Association groups (Bismarck campus and Dickinson campus) are meeting and planning activities for the semester.
Updated Lesson Plan Template
Recall from the August mid-monthly update (e-mailed August 18) that the DSU Teacher Education Program's lesson plan template has been revised as requested last spring by the Teacher Education Council.
Until DSU's new Web site "goes live" and we are able to post documents there once again, please click here to access the revised lesson plan template.
Updated Teacher Education Program Assessment Plan
Recall from that same August mid-monthly update that the DSU Teacher Education Program's assessment plan has been revised, also by action taken last spring by the Teacher Education Council.
Click the "Resources" tab above and then click on the "program assessment plan" hyperlink. That document will tell you if you are teaching a course for which you're supposed to be having students complete a signature assessment!
In the News
July 21: "The Game of Life" -- a profile of elementary education major Brenna Hansen
July 22: "James Hayden Named New Head Coach of Dickinson High Girls Golf Program" -- a feature on one of our physical education alumni
July 29: "First Version of Standards Replacing Common Core Due Friday" -- an article in which mathematics faculty member Reba Olsen is quoted
August 2: "NDCTE: Moberg Attends, DSU Alumnus Wins Teacher of the Year Award" -- featuring English education major Josh Eddy
August 8: "Hayden Named Dickinson High Girls Basketball Coach" -- again, this alum is in the news!
August 9: "Seven Blue Hawk Players Named to 2016 Dacotah Bank/NSAA Football Preseason Team" -- including education majors Jay Liggins and Tommy Sease
August 26: "BSC and DSU Solidify Student Benefits with New MOU"
August 29: "DSU Leasing Strom Center to Preschool"
August 30: "Dickinson Educators View Documentary about Reforming Traditional Learning"
September 14: "DSU-Bismarck SEA Hosts Welcome Back Picnic"
This newsletter from the Western Wellness Foundation, about its Best Friends Mentoring Program, features a couple familiar people: Becky Pitkin, former faculty member in our department; and Caleb Burgard, a DSU alumnus who graduated in 2015 with a degree in elementary education.